Bright Minds. Brighter Futures.
At HealthyKids Canada™ the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The commitment and desire to collaborate among our scientists delivers much-needed improvements for children’s health in the shortest amount of time possible, with research being conducted in a variety of critical areas including:
Conditions affecting children more today than ever before, and with greater risk such as:
- Asthma. The most common chronic disease of childhood, affecting approximately 10-15 percent of Canadian children. It is the leading cause for emergency department visits, hospitalizations and missed school days.
- Type 1 diabetes. Rising by 3 to 5 percent per year in Canada with the greatest rise occurring in 5 to 9 year olds.
- Obesity. Over the last 25 years, obesity rates among children and youth have nearly tripled.
- Mental health concerns such as ADD, depression, and eating disorders. One in six Canadian children is affected by behavioural or emotional problems severe enough to impact their quality of life and the lives of their family.
- Critical illnesses such as cancer. Childhood cancer remains the most common disease-related death in children and youth aged 1-19 years of age.
- Innovations in paediatric science such as genetics. 96 percent of chronic disorders in children have a genetic basis.